You particularly like linen, for your house or your clothes and would like to know how to best maintain it? You are seduced by the idea of making your own washing powder but you don't know which ingredients to use? Or you are a DIY (Do It Yourself) enthusiast and you are wondering which recipe to use to wash your linen without damaging it? Discover our advice to know how and why to make your own laundry detergent to wash your linen.
Why make your own laundry detergent to wash linen?
Making your own laundry detergent for linen has several advantages:
It's better for your laundry: you have total control over the ingredients you put in your detergent. You care about your linen and want to take the best possible care of it. Forget about chlorine-based detergents, which tend to turn linen yellow. Making your own laundry detergent is above all much more respectful of linen
It's better for your health: you are prone to eczema or allergies? Do you have irritations or damaged hands and/or nails? This can be caused by your laundry. You wear your clothes directly on your skin, which can have consequences. Industrial detergents contain products that are sometimes toxic and dangerous for your health and bad for your linen.
It is more ecological: the chemicals in industrial detergents can be very polluting. In addition, we accumulate plastic containers that are not good for the planet. You can use a glass container for your detergent and keep it for a long time.
It's more economical: One of the many advantages of homemade! 4 inexpensive ingredients, easily found in supermarkets or organic stores, effective that mixed together will be much better for the ecology and health, but also for the wallet.
It is more respectful of animals: sometimes some industrial products are tested on animals. Your homemade laundry will not harm our animal friends!
Cherry on the cake: it is very pleasant to make something yourself, you can be proud of yourself!
How to make your own detergent to wash linen? Our recipe!
We propose you a recipe of liquid detergent to make yourself to wash linen. It is simple and quick to make.
The ingredients of our recipe of liquid detergent :
- 50 g of Marseille soap (olive) flakes
- 1 liter of hot water
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- 30 to 40 drops of essential oil of your choice (lemon, orange, sweet, lavender)
- Dissolve the Marseille soap flakes in the liter of hot water.
- Then add the baking soda and let the mixture cool. We advise you to use a mixer (plunger for example) to obtain a homogeneous detergent.
- Finally, add the essential oil of your choice and mix well.
Fill a convenient glass container for everyday use with your machines. Remember to shake well before each use. We recommend using one capful of your detergent for a 6kg machine.
Characteristics of the ingredients:
- Marseille soap: ideal for a washing respectful of the linen, your skin and the environment. It is perfect for linen.
- Baking soda: it removes stains from clothes and will give efficiency to your home laundry. It is biodegradable, ecological and non-toxic.
- Essential oil : it will perfume your laundry and allow your linen to smell good. Don't hesitate to ask your pharmacist for advice on which essential oils to use.
From time to time, we recommend adding white vinegar to your machines. It is a very good natural sanitizer and softener, which has the advantage of not costing much. Moreover, it will clean your washing machine, it is a very good natural descaler.
You now have all the keys in hand. You know how and why to make your own laundry detergent for washing linen. You will also find in the blog Linenshed some tips and advice to wash your linen in the machine. All you have to do now is take action!